sábado, 28 de junho de 2008

Tom Chaplin: Question

Tom Chaplin



HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY RECORD YOUR VOCALS?

TOM: "Actually, it was interesting... the way we started doing them when we were in Paris and then when we were in Berlin, we were doing it on very expensive microphones and it was like, try not to whack that microphone or even touch it, 'cos it was like 60 years old and costs 20,000 quid or something. And you're sort of in vocal booth thats separated from the control room, and it had a kind of... it just had a slightly impersonal feeling- and as anyone who's seen us live will know, I like to perform, I like to... I feel like the physical side of it is very important and I think that kind of thing does translate onto a record.

So, in the end what we decided to do was just get my old little vocal mic that I use on-stage, just plug it straight in the desk and stand in the control room and just sing it with the speakers turned up... which most producers and engineers would start crying at that point, because... well, to put it simply, it basically means that the stuff thats coming out of the speakers gets recorded back through the mic as well as your voice and so it creates a bit of a headache - but what it gives you is something much more important, on the positive side, which is it gave me the ability to be in the control room with Jake, who's engineering the record, and Tim and Richard and Jesse, and to actually perform to them and to make it a real performance each time. That kind of really buoyed me up and just added another dimension to what I was doing... and its a technique that y'know, people like Bono and Bjork and people like that have used in the past, and I thought "Well, if it works for them, then it should work for us!" and I think... I really truly believe that all these songs, and hopefully my vocals as well, have taken another big leap forward as a result."

2008-07-02 12:55:00
Listen to the Interview: http://www.keanemusic.com/data/mp3/2732_tom7.mp3

www.keanemusic.com

Sem comentários: